- When I first started at LanzaTech, we had two fermenters which we cared for like children! We did everything we could to get our microbes producing ethanol in our labs! Today we have a state of the art fermentation facility with onsite analytics. As one of the first employees, I have watched LanzaTech grow since 2006 and although we have evolved, much like our microbe has, it is still as challenging and fun to come into work each day to my fermenters! Loan, Senior Scientist
- Working at LanzaTech has enabled me to continue with working on truly ground-breaking research with real world applications. The fact that the work that goes on in the laboratory could have a significant impact on our energy future is something that keeps the excitement levels high throughout the team. It is great to be part of a group of like minded individuals, who are focussed, but equally enjoy relaxing after work together, be in playing football as a team, going scuba diving or just having a few drinks after work. Michael, Team Leader Synthetic Biology
- As a process engineer I started out at LanzaTech's Pilot Plant in Auckland where I gained valuable experience and a core understanding of our fermentation process. I progressed from my pilot plant support role into a research and development position, first as an R&D engineer then as a research team leader. More recently I have moved from New Zealand to Chicago and am now involved in project management of research projects, where the focus is mostly on the development of separation technologies. I still throw in a bit of engineering site support when needed, including spending time at our Freedom Pines facility in Georgia, USA. LanzaTech has given me unforgettable experiences for both my career and my personal growth (it’s not every day you jump into Lake Michigan in the middle of winter or ride in a monster truck). I have been exposed to a wide range of opportunities that have enabled me to expand my technical knowledge and professional expertise. I am lucky to work with a great group of colleagues, who have been gathered from countries and cultures all around the world. They are not only inspiring and educational to work with but are also great companions to enjoy a beer with at the end of the day. Alice, Senior Process Engineer
Please open job description in new window
Mail in Position:
Company Name: LanzaTech, Inc.
Position Title: Senior Scientist
Days / Hours: Monday to Friday / 9:00am to 5:00pm
Location: 8045 Lamon Ave. Suite 400 Skokie, IL 60077
Summary of Duties: Responsible for genetic modification and metabolic engineering of LanzaTech’s proprietary anaerobic bacteria for production of fuels and chemicals from gases, developing research plans and guidance of junior scientists and technicians. Metabolic engineering of LanzaTech bacteria through heterologous gene expression, integration and knockout of genes for production of new compounds or improved physiology. Cloning, assembly and construction of pathways and genetic elements into DNA fragments and plasmids for genetic modification of LanzaTech proprietary bacteria. Development and use of novel genetic tools and genetic parts. Transformation of LanzaTech bacteria, screening of clones and mutants and optimization of current protocols and techniques. Cultivation, growth, and fermentation studies of E. coli and LanzaTech bacteria. Expression studies and enzymatic assays to confirm presence and activity of enzymes. Development of enzyme assays and screens. Genome analysis and mining and analysis of Systems Biology data. Analysis and discussion of relevant literature and patents and development of new concepts. Supervision and guidance of junior scientists and technicians. Development of research plans and project management. Work in project teams and across teams. Interaction and coordination project partners. Preparation of documentation as presentations, reports or summaries for team meetings, patent applications grant proposals, publications, or project reports. Maintenance of laboratory books and records. Contributing to and adhering to all safety standards and practice.
Qualifications: Doctorate degree in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Genetics or a closely related field of study and 3 years in the job offered or a closely related occupation. Applicants must also have demonstrated experience with:
- Design of multi-step metabolic pathways
- Design of combinatorial libraries
- Assembly of DNA (both conventional and ligation independent cloning)
- Using DNA design software (at least one of Geneious, Vector NTI or J5/TeselaGen)
- Genome modification techniques (at least one of CRISPR, Allele-coupled exchange (ACE), Homologous recombination or TALEN)
- Cultivation, transformation, screening and growth/production studies of anaerobic bacteria in laboratory setting.
- Development of enzymatic assays including protein overexpression and purification
- gas fermentation techniques and metabolism
- analytical methods including at least High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography (GC), and Mass Spectrometry (MS)
- omics studies including genomics, metabolomics, and proteomics
- Design of experiment and statistical methods
- Scientific writing (at least one of preparation of publications, or grant proposals)
- Preparing patent applications
To apply: Mail resume to LanzaTech, Inc. HR, 8045 Lamon Ave., Suite 400, Skokie, IL 60077. Please reference job code #0008.
Mail in Position:
Position Title: Director, Process Integration
Name of Employer: LanzaTech, Inc.
Job Location: 8045 Lamon Ave. Suite 400, Skokie, IL 60077
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Manages a team of Scientists and Engineers (including senior level). Researches technology opportunities for integration with gas fermentation; evaluates techno-economic and environmental impacts. Provides the technical leadership for experimental (and associated equipment) design in lab and lab-pilot scale. Designs and optimizes bioprocessing systems, including bioreactors, downstream separations, and wastewater treatment. Project management of individual research projects and larger lab equipment buildout. Leads or joins overseas operations teams on demo or commercial sites, developing the parameters for fermentation operation, interacting with customers, and interpreting results for further technology development.
Required Minimum Position Qualifications:
A Bachelor’s degree in Bioprocess or Biotechnical Engineering and five years of experience in the job offered or a related occupation with the following: Site operations team management; Project management; Commissioning of bioprocess plants; Techno-economic evaluation and comparison of bioprocesses; Gas fermentation research and development at lab and pilot scale; Bioreactor design and performance modeling; Bioprocess scale-up; Gas to liquid mass transfer calculation and design application in bioprocesses; Specification of process technologies in wastewater treatment or water reuse; Specification of distillation technologies; Specification of gas treatment technologies. International and domestic travel up to 20%.
To apply, mail resume to LanzaTech, Inc. HR, 8045 Lamon Ave., Suite 400, Skokie, IL 60077. Please reference job code # 0022.