- As a process engineer I started out at LanzaTech's Pilot Plant in Auckland where I gained valuable experience and a core understanding of our fermentation process. I progressed from my pilot plant support role into a research and development position, first as an R&D engineer then as a research team leader. More recently I have moved from New Zealand to Chicago and am now involved in project management of research projects, where the focus is mostly on the development of separation technologies. I still throw in a bit of engineering site support when needed, including spending time at our Freedom Pines facility in Georgia, USA. LanzaTech has given me unforgettable experiences for both my career and my personal growth (it’s not every day you jump into Lake Michigan in the middle of winter or ride in a monster truck). I have been exposed to a wide range of opportunities that have enabled me to expand my technical knowledge and professional expertise. I am lucky to work with a great group of colleagues, who have been gathered from countries and cultures all around the world. They are not only inspiring and educational to work with but are also great companions to enjoy a beer with at the end of the day. Alice, Senior Process Engineer
- Working at LanzaTech has enabled me to continue with working on truly ground-breaking research with real world applications. The fact that the work that goes on in the laboratory could have a significant impact on our energy future is something that keeps the excitement levels high throughout the team. It is great to be part of a group of like minded individuals, who are focussed, but equally enjoy relaxing after work together, be in playing football as a team, going scuba diving or just having a few drinks after work. Michael, Team Leader Synthetic Biology
- When I first started at LanzaTech, we had two fermenters which we cared for like children! We did everything we could to get our microbes producing ethanol in our labs! Today we have a state of the art fermentation facility with onsite analytics. As one of the first employees, I have watched LanzaTech grow since 2006 and although we have evolved, much like our microbe has, it is still as challenging and fun to come into work each day to my fermenters! Loan, Senior Scientist
Please open job description in new window
Company Name: LanzaTech Freedom Pines Biorefinery LLC
Position Title: Site / Plant Engineer
Days / Hours: Monday to Friday / 8:00am to 5:00pm
Location: 535 Commerce Drive, Soperton, GA 30457
Summary of Duties:
- Maintain a safe work environment and demonstrate leadership in supporting the establishment of a culture of safety at the site.
- Support operations and maintenance by leading Management of Change efforts at the plant.
- Lead communication of changes and maintaining the P&ID’s and any other related drawings that need modification due to changes at the site.
- Help maintain the site infrastructure on a day-to-day basis with the support of maintenance personnel. Key areas of responsibility include wastewater, flare conditions and water testing as needed.
- Transfer conceptual plant design into Basic Engineering package and Detailed Engineering Design including:
- Heat and Material Balance and Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs), Piping & Instrument Diagrams (P&IDs).
- Engineering design calculations, including process simulation and detailed equipment sizing.
- Participation and coordination of HAZOP activities and Process Risk Analyses.
- Development of plant and industrial projects including:
- Communicating with and lead support groups such as maintenance and operations to successfully complete projects and initiatives at the site.
- Commissioning and plant troubleshooting.
- Third party interaction including equipment vendors, EPC contractors and industry consultants.
- Contributing to safety standards and practices.
- Equipment purchase for LanzaTech facilities, and procurement assistance for industrial plants.
- Applying data to knowledge of engineering fundamentals to design new equipment and assess existing equipment for new processes and applications.
- Travel is negligible; no more than 10% – based on need to work on-site.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Industrial Engineering (or other relevant field) and five (5) years in the job offered or Process Engineer, QA Technician, Process Operator, Operations Engineer or related. Applicants must have demonstrated experience the following:
- Hands on management of an industrial continuous process.
- Capital project management – including project scope definition, budget setup, implementation and startup support.
- General Plant Water Quality and Treatment – including assuring discharge to the city is within specifications and that RO water in the labs is maintained at the proper quality to support fermentation.
- Equipment sizing and selection – calculations involving mass and energy balances to properly size equipment needed.
- Management of Change – leading meetings with the plant staff and assisting in implementation of changes and maintaining proper documentation to reflect the changes made.
- Creative Cost Control – the creative use of existing equipment to reduce capital costs.
- Safety Leadership – Ensuring all new processes/equipment and projects are implemented with proper safety design to protect personnel. Finding potential safety issues on existing equipment to prevent accidents.
- Day to day process troubleshooting – daily problem solving to include general plant infrastructure (flare, chilled water system and boiler) and operations support of fermentation processes.
To apply: Mail resume to LanzaTech Freedom Pines Bio Refinery LLC, HR, 8045 Lamon Ave., Suite 400, Skokie, IL 60077. Please reference job code #008.