LanzaTech was once again named in the prestigious 2012 Global Cleantech 100, produced by Cleantech Group, a leading global research and advisory firm focused on innovation in energy and the environment...
Frequently Asked Questions
Capturing the large volume of CO (destined to become CO2 once released into the atmosphere) emitted by industry for fuel production provides a net reduction in fossil carbon emissions
The use of low carbon fuels to displace petrol also reduces localized pollution from transport, and has a positive influence on public health and thus national productivity. Specifically, E10 petrol blends (10% ethanol in petrol) have been shown to reduce smog formation (the American Lung Association credits ethanol-blended petrol with reducing smog-forming emissions by 25% since 1990), and toxic exhaust emissions (CO emissions by as much as 30%, toxic content by 13% (mass) and 21% (potency), and tailpipe fine particulate matter (PM) emissions by 50%).
In the USA, the mandate in the Renewable Fuels Standard 2 for Advanced biofuels is 36 Billion gallons use annually by 2022, of which 21 million must be from second generation technologies. The EU has approved a binding biofuels mandate of 10% by 2020. The binding character of this target is appropriate subject to production being sustainable, second-generation biofuels becoming commercially available and the Fuel Quality Directive being amended accordingly to allow for adequate levels of blending.
Ethanol is a high-octane premium fuel. A blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline, or E10, is approved for use in every vehicle sold in the U.S.; about one-third of America’s gasoline contains some ethanol.
Ethanol can also be used as a substitute for gasoline. In the U.S. it is sold in blends of up to 85% (E85). Gasoline, the remaining 15%, is needed to help the fuel ignite in cold weather. In very cold weather, higher proportions of gasoline may be needed. Ethanol at these higher blends should not be used in conventional vehicles but only in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are designed to run on any combination of ethanol and gasoline up to E85.
LanzaTech’s process varies significantly from the traditional corn-based ethanol process. Corn ethanol is produced via the fermentation of sugars. Corn kernels are broken down into sugars through milling and hydrolysis operations. LanzaTech's ethanol is produced by the LanzaTech process. The key to LanzaTech’s proprietary technology is a microbial catalyst that can convert carbon monoxide to ethanol. Gas-to-fuel conversion with microbes has been under development for the last two decades. The commercialization barrier for these other processes has been the requirement for high amounts of hydrogen in the input gas stream. Elevated levels of hydrogen are not a feature of steel mill waste gases. LanzaTech therefore appears to have a window of opportunity not captured by competitors.
LanzaTech is able to use waste cellulosic biomass (woody biomass) and municipal waste as a feedstock to produce synthesis gas through the gasification process which breaks down the chemical bonds in the biomass. The LanzaTech Process is feedstock agnostic-it can use a variety of feedstocks that are available in high volumes, are low value and are non food.
In the USA today the gasoline market is around 142 billion gallons and bioethanol usage around 9 billion gallons (around 6.5%). In Europe bioethanol usage is around 3%.
Using CO waste gases, from 65% of the global steel production, as a resource for the LanzaTech process, there is the potential to produce over 30 billion gallons of fuel ethanol per year, which equates to around 15 billion gallons of jet fuel (about 19% of the current world aviation fuel demand).
When you then consider the potential of using this process with other metal and chemical industries, we believe a far greater percentage of fuel demand could be met.
We have a fantastic team here at LT. Please see the careers section of the website if you feel you have the required skills and passion for a career at LanzaTech.
LanzaTech is a privately owned company and there are no options for the public to buy shares.